Saturday, April 04, 2009

Saturday Class a 'Piece of Cake'


My employers offered me the chance to earn some extra money on the weekends teaching kids at an elementary school nearby. Despite the pressure put on me, I tried to stall and delay the decision, being apprehensive to commit 2 Saturdays a month for the foreseeable future. A healthy work-life balance is one of the keys, I think, to happiness and health. However, the credit crunch, economy, and the necessary funds for RTW weigh on my mind as well. After they told me I wouldn't have to prepare materials or lesson plans, I decided to take the plunge.

My first day turned out surprisingly enjoyable. I was evidently teaching the class with a Korean English Teacher and another American guy named Carlos. The kids proved quite endearing as well. I can scarcely recall a greater bunch of spunky 9 and 10 year-olds! Not one rotten apple in the whole group!

We learned vocabulary about emotions (happy, sad, angry, etc), made some related crafts, and decorated cakes! The kids decorated cakes, we just showed them how and took care of the mess!

No comments: