Monday, April 20, 2009

Burglary?

I woke up early this morning to get some things ready for an extra-curricular class I'm teaching at Annam MS before school starts. When I went to look for my wallet (on the night stand) I didn't find it where it was supposed to be.

Where was it? On the floor, with 130,000 to 150,000 Won (100-120 USD) missing and the reciepts strewn about nearby. So much for finishing the month under budget!

And what's the very expensive lesson to be learned from all this? Lock your door at night when you go to sleep! I've do this sometimes, but have to concede I often forget. Who would ever rob my home when I'm there right? I'm always on my guard against pickpockets and I like to think I could thwart even the stickiest of fingers in an Italian train station. But I have to admit I let my guard down a bit when I'm at home. This being Korea and Asia and all, I never figured on something like this.

Because I didn't lock my door, my colleagues recommended that it wouldn't be worthwhile to file a police report, as the crime would be viewed as my own fault. I guess that's how things are done around here. And at the end of the day, I guess I can't argue too much with that logic, as I have to concede my own carelessness played a role in this. They're insisting I change my locks, however.

So anyways, I'm trying to remain good humored about the whole thing. Whoever got my money, I sure hope you need it more than I do! Don't go waste it on smack and whiskey or some such nonsense!

1 comment:

Andy Beal said...

You must be sleeping more soundly these days. Hope all is going well.
Dad