Thursday, May 14, 2009

Korean Samulnori Percussion

My friend and co-worker, Bae Sang-Im is always eager to introduce me to some new aspect of Korean culture and society I may not have previously been aware of. So I thought I might relay to my readers her latest introduction to capture my attention: the unique percussion instruments and musical style known in Korea as Samulnori. The musicians use different types of two sided drums and cymbals.Fast paced clattering melodies on the cymbals and equally energetic rhythms collide and dance in a frenzied, syncopated duel. Although uniquely Korean, Samulnori does bear some resemblances to other Asian percussion styles such as taiko drumming.

I'm definitely going to have to be on the lookout for some Samulnori events to attend and see.

No comments: