Monday, June 29, 2009

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

I've wound up seeing a lot more movies here in Korea than I ever really thought I would. Two reasons for this: the group of friends I've fallen in with really enjoy films, and going to the movies is a very cheap activity here (around 5 USD to see new releases in the evening and even cheaper in the mornings and afternoons).

So, with Roger, Carlos, and Lily's family and new friend 'Claire Erica' Lee, we saw the new Transformers movie. I wasn't expecting much, but I actually really liked it. I was disappointed that during the final sequence though, action took place at several different locations across Egypt and Jordan. One moment they're on the pyramids, then next minute they're 3 countries away in Jordan, wandering through the Lost City of Petra. Then they're running through Karnak Temple in Luxor (hundreds of kilometers South of both locales)! But the Egyptians and the Jordanians must be laughing their heads off at the nonsense in this one!

Despite the best efforts of geography teachers like myself, I'd almost be willing to forgive this due to the rabble's completely hopeless lack of understanding about geography (almost), but it gets much worse. Anther scene has the characters walking through the front door of the National Air and Space Museum in Washington, DC. Then they walk out the back door of the museum... into an Air Force bone yard obviously in Tuscon Arizona! Come on!

These are just a few of the eye-roll inducing plot discrepancies in the movie. It might actually be fun to see it again and see how many more ridiculous things I didn't notice.

Seriously, how stupid do they think movie audiences are? Then again, for folks willing to shell out money to watch a sequel to a movie based on a TV series produced to sell a line of plastic toys in the 1980's, I don't imagine the producers had high minded viewers in mind. This movie is a great ride, but be sure to leave your brain at home, lest critical thinking ruin it for you.

No comments: