Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Pictures from Pisa and Mons



Here are two more pictures for everyone to look at. The first is me at the famous Leaning Tower of Pisa. Like my Dad said, I found the place to be somewhat tacky. A beautiful Romanesque Church and accompanying Baptistry sat in what could have been the most beautiful Piaza in all of Italy, save for 2 big flaws. The biggest flaw was the endless row of hawkers and vendors selling kitsch garbage and souvenir junk to all the hapless tourists. The second imperfection was the lean in the tower itself, damaging the pristine aesthetic effect of the other 3 buildings. I was a little more forgiving of the latter.
The second is a statue in a large Gothic Cathedral in Mons, Belgium. Mons is the town where my friend Pat lives with his partner Heike, and is very close to France. We visited this Cathedral in Mons shortly before I concluded my trip to the continent. It was quite nice, and I wish I had spent more time in Northern Europe touring these beautiful Gothic Structures.

I will try to put some more pictures out tomorrow or Friday. If you have any requests for pictures from my trip, I will see if I can accomodate you. If I went there, I'll put them up.

No comments: