Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Alison Yeardley in the Race for the Cure on Saturday!


I just heard from my old friend Alison Yeardley recently! She is British, but living in Houston Texas now and is working at a British Primary School for all the pint sized English expats. Those of you who do know Alison will attest to the fact that she is one of the most cheerful, happy, generous, and kind people you will ever have the privilege of meeting.

I was lucky enough to meet Alison years ago (Summer of 2002) where we spent the summer working for YMCA Camp Marston in Julian California. She always has a smile on her face and has the unique ability to cheer up even the grouchiest amongst us. She is outgoing, fun loving and eternally optomistic. I have never heard her say anything that wasn't positive, funny, or encouraging. I can say with authority that she brought the very best out in everyone around her.

She also came and briefly visited me the following summer when I was working at Bright Angel Lodge in the Grand Canyon. And unfortunately, that is the last time I have seen her. But I will see her again. In the first picture she is on the right. I don't have as many of the Camp Marston scans as I thought I did.

Anyways, the reason I'm writing about her now is that she is running in the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation's Race for the Cure and needs our support. All readers of this blog are hereby obligated to contribute money to her cause! In her own words, "

Dear Friends and Family,

I recently accepted the challenge to raise funds to support the Komen Houston Race for the Cure on September 30, 2006 in the fight against breast cancer. One in seven women will be stricken with breast cancer in her lifetime and the more we raise, the more the Komen Houston Affiliate of the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation can give back to fund vital breast cancer education, screening and treatment programs in our own community and support the national search for a cure.

Please join me in the fight by pledging in support of my
participation in the Race or contributing generously to Komen Houston. Your tax-deductible contribution will fund innovative outreach and awareness programs for medically underserved communities in Houston and national breast cancer research. It is faster and easier than ever to support this great cause - you can make a donation online by simply clicking on the link at the bottom of this message. If you would prefer, you can also send your tax-deductible contribution to the address listed below. Whatever you can give will help! I truly appreciate your support and will keep you posted on my progress.

Thank you so much for your time and support in the fight against breast cancer! Every step counts!"

I'm not sure if those were her exact words or some website editor in Houston, but either way, she needs our help. So if you can, please contribute to her cause. This is her site for the race. You can contribute at her site. She'll be grateful for anything you can do to help. In the picture she is the one on the right. I'll have to ask her for a better picture, because I never finished all those scans.

No comments: