Friday, July 07, 2006

Last Saturday's International Day




Sorry, I am so late with updating this, but I have been busier than I've ever been in my entire life.

Last Saturday, my friend Jake and I decided to go to Asaka Kaisei High School's International Festival. The school invites people from as many countries as they can to do seminars on games, cooking, culture, international and cultural understanding and other things. A number of the schools here have this festival.
Originally being promised an opportunity to teach students to make traditional American Deserts, My friend Jake and I were disapointed when we were told to do "games." Not knowing what they had in mind, we taught the kids poker. I was a blackjack dealer, and my friend Jake taught 5 card draw. Being my first time dealing black jack, I wasn't very good at it, but caught on quickly enough.

Following Lunch, they herded everyone to the gym were each group was supposed to give a description or demonstration of what they did or learned. We weren't sure what to say or do on stage, so Jake gave a brief description and handed the mic to me. Not sure what to say, I made a few jokes from the peanut gallery, and took a picture. I think it is the first candid picture of an audience from a stage that I have ever seen. It was quite funny, and all the students laughed, but I'm sure everyone was thinking "What's up with this weirdo?"

After the obscenely long set of speeches, I met up with Hazuki, who was one of my best students at Mihota Chu last year. I joined her soccer team for their practice after everything was done. Even on weekends, Japanese Middle School and High School students still go to their school clubs and practice for 2 to 4 hours every day.

Hazuki is pictured here, as well as the Asaka crowd, and Stephanie, Anila and Tracy, who teach in the local High Schools.

No comments: