Monday, May 21, 2007

When You Lose a Chair...

I started cleaning the other day and preparing to go home. I wanted to take some pictures off my wall, and so I went to retrieve the chair from my kitchen/dining room. It was then that I realized that I only had one chair. Now I was certain when I moved into this apartment, that there were two chairs that came as part of a kitchen table set. I looked around my messy apartment for the chair, and found that it was nowhere! Now I began to question whether there were two chairs or not.

I contacted my neighbor Dan and asked him if his apartment also came with two chairs. Indeed all of our apartments were furnished with 2 chairs and a kitchen table. Where on earth could my chair have gone? I mean, chairs have legs but they don't just pick up and walk out the door if they're unhappy. Generally they stay put, right? I mean, you lose your keys, your cell phone, pocket change, or your sunglasses, but nobody misplaces a chair! Who would steal a chair anyways? Despite Japan's ridiculously low crime rate, burglaries do happen. But who ever heard of a chair being stolen.? Cash, jewelry, cameras, computers, & consumer electronics attract thieves, not bland furniture picked out by middle aged bureaucrats.

Regardless of all these mental ruminations, I didn't have a clue where my chair was. I resolved to clean my house and deal with it later. Half an hour into my cleaning, I found my chair, buried under a pile of stuff that included my ski gear, a tarp, dirty laundry, old junk mail, and a heap of other stuff that belonged in the garbage.

I guess it was time for me to clean house!

1 comment:

The Pittmeister said...

That must have been some pile of junk to cover up a chair! Haven't you started packing yet? I know for a fact you won't need those skis in Kuwait...unless you want to dabble in the extreme sport of "Sand Dune" skiiing/snowboarding.