Saturday, March 03, 2007

Politics and other sundry business.


I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't wish for this blog to become a bullhorn for my politics, but sometimes you have to make an exception. Here's an editorial that might interest some of you from Slate.

Sundry goings on here in Japan include:

  • A suspected spider bite incapacitated me for a couple of days. This delayed my rigorous training schedule for the 10 mile race I entered last week. I couldn't run very well with a swollen leg with two big itchy dark red welts on them. The school nurse told me to see a dermatologist, but it has since cleared up. No excuses for not training now.
  • I have booked a ticket to the Philippines to spend my spring break and am currently trying to figure out how to fit everything into my schedule. I aim to get an advanced scuba license, dive a couple of very deep World War 2 wrecks that require this coursework despite my confidence in diving that deep. I also intend to see the famous rice terraces in Banaue, which is one of the world's forgotten wonders. See picture.
  • I joined my friend Chandan and his missionary friend Jeff for their weekly Bible Study meeting. It was a pretty informal affair they have on a Thursday night.
  • At the request of my employer, the Koriyama City Board of Education, I have removed links to my students' blogs (and found they were dead anyways) out of privacy concerns. Apparently there was some incident somewhere in Japan (that I've never heard of) involving a teacher divulging private information about a student on the internet. So, I am no longer allowed to post anything private about my students or promote my blog among my students.

No comments: