Sunday, March 18, 2007

Getting a Book Published

No, I did not submit any of my manuscripts to publishers for consideration, but my grandfather, Dr. Richard Beal sure did. For as long as I can remember he's been busy editing, revising, re-writing, hiring editors, and agents, and consultants of every sort, and generally searching every corner of the publishing world for someone who would print his book! And according to my mother, all this persistence and diligence is about to pay off as somebody finally agreed to publish his book.

For those of you who don't know him, my grandfather was an entomology professor at Northern Arizona University (GO LUMBERJACKS!) and also a minister before retiring to Prescott Arizona. He currently teaches a Bible-study class for the senior folks at his church in Prescott.
Everyone knows him as a warm-hearted, cheerful old guy who loves insects.

Years ago, he wrote a book for Christian audiences about the ever-present evolution/creation debate that continues to afflict the more conservative churches in the United States. In several states, the issue of teaching evolutionary theory in classrooms has been both historically, and recently, a hot political issue for many Christian voters, who believe the theory of evolution to be anathema to a literal interpretation of the Biblical story of creation. Many conservative Christian groups and political factions are now arguing before courts and school districts to teach a theory of "intelligent design" as an alternative to the theory of evolution.

As I recall, the bug-collecting scientist in my grandfather argues against any narrow or rigid interpretation of the creation story in Genesis. He also will defend his own profession and that of most mainstream biologists from serious misconceptions about the theory of evolution.

Regardless of the subject matter, I'm sure my grandfather is thrilled. He has been writing this book and searching for a publisher since I was about ten. He's also been working on other books, including a commentary on the book of Acts, and more recently Christian themed fiction.

So Grandad, if you are reading this blog, CONGRATULATIONS!

No comments: