Monday, June 23, 2008

Indiana Jones with Uncle David


I also managed to stop by my Uncle David's house in Tempe, Arizona. We kept things pretty low key and laid back though. Summer temperatures in Tempe and Phoenix were near record highs for the week, 8 straight days at 114 degrees Fahrenheit. This comes to about 46 degrees Celsius. Not much to do but hang out indoors to beat the heat! So, to entertain ourselves, Uncle David took me to the YMCA for a bit of treadmill action and then we went to see a movie.

And what else did we see? Harrison Ford in his signature role as Indiana Jones again. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull takes the spectacle, stunts, and campiness of the first three films to a whole new level with blue screens and computer animation. At times, I thought the film's plot was so contrived and over the top I couldn't help but laugh. As my Aunt Nancy astutely observed, the film "felt like a ride at Disneyland." I couldn't agree more.

Uncle Dave is also exited about his new Dodge Ram truck. A full size Ram 1500 4X4 with a 5.7 liter Hemi, it will no doubt serve him well on the numerous boy scout camping trips he leads with his Tempe area scout troop.

"I could cram 5 scouts in the cab if we need to!" Uncle Dave exclaimed as he excitedly expounded on its towing capacity, off road capability, and general suitability for hauling boy scouts and camping gear into the Superstition Mountains and up to the Mogollon Rim.

May Uncle Dave have many good times with scouts and his new truck.

No comments: