Saturday, June 21, 2008

Hiking the Peaks Again

After hanging out in Phoenix with the Hansons for a bit, I drove up to join Eric Hanson at his new place in Flagstaff and help Jenny get moved into her apartment. But I didn't do any of this before driving up the Snowbowl and trying to climb Mount Humphreys. But alas, it wasn't meant to be. Poor planning and a late start prevented me from reaching the top. I didn't even reach the base until 3:30 in the afternoon and ran out of water before reaching the saddle between Humphreys and Agassiz. Hungry, thirsty, my head throbbing from thin air, and quickly running out of daylight just above timberline, I turned back to make sure I wouldn't be stumbling around in a hazy stupor in the dark.

While I'm terribly ashamed at my recent sissyness, in my defense I should mention that I was making pretty good time. I reached the saddle in about 1 hour and 15 minutes. I probably could have reached the top in another 30. Still, this was disappointing, as I could reach the summit in that amount of time during my prime years when well prepared. I've definitely slowed down and need to focus on my fitness more than I have been lately. But I'm confident I'll be in top shape again after the Colorado Trail and a few weeks at the YMCA where I'll join in Denver.
The next day turned out better, however, as I climbed Mount Elden and got these great shots. Aahhh... Summer in Flagstaff just can't be beat! From the pictures you can clearly see the fire lookout (alas, now closed) and the beautiful Ponderosa pines that DIDN'T get burned in some long ago fire my dad and Grandad keep telling me about.

Had a good time with Eric, Jenny, and Eric's roomate Rich McPhearson. Saw the funny, but forgettable Alvin and the Chipmunks movie. Yes folks, I definitely need to spend more time in Flagstaff.

No comments: