Saturday, December 01, 2007

New Dishdasha & a New Gym

My friend Jeff and I were out one Friday night at the Old Souk (market) and happened to wander by a tailor selling dishdashas. For those of you who don't know, a dishdasha is the traditional garb worn by men here in Kuwait and Arabs in most of the rest of the Arabian Peninsula.

Usually they are white, but in wintertime, many different colors are worn. I'll have a picture of me in mine soon. I don't look exactly right in mine, but Jeff Wallick on the other hand, could pass for a local if he keeps his mouth shut.

Hopefully nobody will use this against me if I ever run for senate!

I also joined a new Gym. The commute to my old gym, Al-Islah fitness center, required a 15 minute walk down crowded, dirty, smelly streets, ultimately passing over a 12 lane controlled access freeway. This was starting to irritate me.

Another teacher at my school showed me his gym. The new gym lies only a 3 minute walk away, hidden away in a hole in the ground under a 12-floor apartment complex. The new gym is closer, cheaper, cleaner, nicer, and has a whirlpool. The only problem? They pipe in some satellite music video channel and I spend more time watching top 40 and less time pumping iron. I'll get used to it I suppose.

No comments: