Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Teiden (Blackout)

I'm at my favorite school, Katahira JHS last week. Things are going pretty good. But then, with my last class of the day almost finished, the lights went out. It was my first teiden (blackout). The students of course, were all in a state of panic. Nevertheless, we proceeded with cleaning time; all the students and teachers tidying up the school for about 20 minutes.

We used to have blackouts in Tennessee all the time when I lived there. So why am I mentioning this otherwise mundane abnormality? When the blackout happened, the water pressure and phones failed as well. Normally this wouldn't bother me much, except that I had to "go" really really bad! And now I couldn't use the toilet (three people emphasized this to me). I sat at my desk aching while my eyes turned yellow! There's never a problem with the water during a blackout in the USA. I asked a teacher, and she said the water pumps are run with electricity. Makes sense I suppose. Presumably water pumps in the USA are electric as well, so why don’t they go down when the electricity does? Are they on a separate power system?

And how come American phones work during a blackout and Japanese phones don’t (or didn’t). Even during the all too frequent blackouts in Memphis TN, the phones never stopped working. Calling all city planners, utility experts, and engineers with appropriate backgrounds in either the USA or Japan! Can you please explain this to me?

No comments: