Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Chutairen

Today was the Semi Annual Chutairen, or the City Sports Festival, depending on how you would like to translate it. During this time, all the sports teams in my district compete in a daylong tournament. The winners go onto the kentaikai (I think that's what its called) or the prefectural tournament. Overall, its usually a pretty crazy day. As there are no classes, I'm allowed to go around to the various schools hosting various tournaments.

My first stop was the table tennis tournament, but I quickly left to go see the Katahirachu Basketball team lose their game, and be eliminated after the first round.

After this, I went back to the table tennis tournament. I watched it for awhile, and soon left to go see the Kendo teams play. Unfortunately, it was a rather disappointing time at the kendo tournament. The new music teacher (who coaches the kendo team) wasn't in the friendliest of moods, and was in fact rather cold. I'm not certain why. I don't think I've done anything to deserve it, certainly not that day. Not sure what was going on there. Regardless, I think most of my students were happy to see me.

I quickly left the stifling atmosphere there and went to go watch the Tomita tennis team play. By the time I arrived late that afternoon, I was only able to watch the Girl's team finish a couple of games. The Tomita Girls ALMOST won the city championship, but just lost. They put up a good fight though.

Unfortunately, I forgot my camera, so I cannot post any pictures of the day.

No comments: