Thursday, June 10, 2010

Career Choices

One of the things I like best about teaching in Korea are the bright, motivated students. A student who wants to learn (even if they do so for all the wrong reasons) is far better than the alternative.

But despite the overwhelming precociousness of my kids, they are still human, and they are definitely still middle schoolers and products of their times.

This morning I taught a lesson in my extra-curricular ESL conversation class. The talking point of the day was:"When you grow up..." "Want to do.../want to..." and a few related sentences and questions were the target phrases.

I think most were getting it, so before I introduce the next activity for practice, I ask one kid the question, :Do you want to be a doctor or a teacher?"

"No, I don't. I want to be a fund manager."

I couldn't help but laugh.

No comments: