Wednesday, September 01, 1999

Recollections: First Day at Yavapai College

My Recollections are instances in my life that I fondly recall for any number of reasons and I've written all of them down on or after June 2009, although the events take place over a very wide time span in my lifetime. Everything below is an account of my memory, which can be fickle and unreliable, yet often yields the most important life lessons and records those crucial formative instances in one's life story.

My first day at Yavapai College. I showed up early for my English Composition class. Wouldn't want to be late! Who else is there? A very attractive Hispanic girl about my age from the nearby town of Chino Valley, an agrarian community that lay to the North of Prescott.

If most of my coeds would be this pretty, I was liking it here already! I introduced myself, asked her questions and generally made awkward attempts at flirting, although thinking back, they would have been quite benign and more friendly, even just idle chit-chat. What other classes are you taking? Where are you from? What do you do for fun? Studying to be a legal secretary? Boyfriend? Yes on the last question. Shoot. Oh well, I guess it always happens that way.

I would see her from time to time, as she and I were often the earliest to arrive. I enjoyed talking with her, but had hoped for more. I suppose it made things easier that she was taken: I knew inside I wouldn't have had the guts to ask her out at that point in my life anyways.

No comments: